grandma's framed paint mixing sheets

My grandma (muffin) died 9 years ago while I was a student at RIT. She was a ballet dancer and artist. I often wished I had training in ballet and her height ;) Now I'm older- I think I'm a lot like her more than any of my family members. I am reserved, I paint, appreciates the classics, idolizes Martha Stewart and can be outspoken - just like her. Grandma Muffin always had fantastic taste - She was very peculiar with color. I remember thinking *groans* why did she have to pick pastels?!! now I love it - the colors I tend to gravitate towards are butter yellow, soft aquas, greys, chartruese-like greens... My mother wasn't too fond of her (cant blame her really) and I think that influenced me as a child - that and the lack of communication among us. It was always boring over there for family gatherings so i'd keep myself busy by exploring her tiny house and her closet. It was like candyland - uknow? the smell of old paint, mystery letters and photos. She always had games too. I loved that. Through materials, her art and pictures - I definitely have more appreciation and respect for her now.

I loved her Glencoe house and was sad to see it go. It was in bad shape - had no foundation, and was falling apart due to the earthquake. Even though my family kept some characteristics (moldings, door, the porch swing) of the old house - the new house has no integrity of the previous house that I remembered - it's blue and feels sterile.
One of my favorite characteristic of the house was the visible exterior shingles in the kitchen.. yes in the kitchen!! A long time ago - my grandfather ( I thinnnk) had expanded the house by building the kitchen outside of the house and I remember as a little girl i'd touch the glossy painted butter yellow shingles whenever I pass through the kitchen. I thought it was the best thing everrr - i also loved her galley style jack n jill bathroom and how it'd smell like jean nate powder every time I visited. The barn in her backyard was majestic!! bigger than the house itself and it was so old. I thought it was fun to see something so farm like in a city setting. Barn style garages are popular nowadays- especially in the East Coast. --- everytime I see one, I think of the old Glencoe house.

Anyway baccck to the point, after her death, I took all of her art supplies because I would put them to good use. Recently i found three sheets of her oil mixing papers wedged in one of the sketchbooks - they were evidently old and thought they were kind of pretty. The paper smelled like her closet at her old house -- I wanted to preserve it so I went to ikea - bought three Ribba frames for 4.99 each and voila! When Jeff and I move to a new place - ill definitely find a place for them.. Right now they're sitting on my shelf in the apartment.



No comments: